Your donation to the Maine Lakes Society supports an exciting array of lake-focused programs with a broad reach to lake users and lakeshore landowners across the state:
- Council of Lake Associations – 144 Lake Association members and growing.
- LakeSmart – our non-regulatory, voluntary program to teach landscaping practices that protect lakes from stormwater runoff and prevent unwanted algal blooms. View our LakeSmart video here!
- Lakes Alive! – we engage the hearts and minds of youth and adults through our experiential education program with the Melinda Ann, our 30-foot floating classroom.
- Our Annual Maine Lakes Conference offers excellent lake learning and networking sessions to empower the lake stewards of today and tomorrow.
- As a voice for Maine’s lakes in Augusta, we are a potent advocate for lake-protective legislation based on economic and scientific data. To ensure that the voices of lake lovers are heard, we galvanize our membership and help them develop compelling science-based testimony.
- Developing partnerships with academic institutions and watershed managers on lakes research and communications.
Founded in 1970 as the Congress of Lake Associations (COLA), we merged with the former Maine Lakes Conservancy Institute (MLCI) in 2012 and changed our name to better reflect our broader mission. The only statewide membership organization devoted solely to lakes, we work to strengthen the resilience of lake ecosystems in the face of climate change, poor land management, and inadequately enforced regulations. Our ambitious vision acknowledges the interest of ALL Maine citizens and the estimated 650,000 people who enjoy or use Maine’s lakes each year.