The mission of the Maine Lakes Society is to SAVE MAINE’S LAKES – to protect and preserve the values and benefits of Maine’s lakes, ponds, and watersheds for future generations – through science-based action, education and advocacy.
We believe in the future of Maine lakes. Through our efforts, we will ensure the protection of our cherished lakes for today and for future generations.
▪ We will increase the number of LakeSmart participants and awards by 10% each year.
▪ Through Lakes Alive! – our exciting floating classroom – we will inspire young and old to protect our lakes.
▪ Through pro-active, science-based testimony and collaborative efforts with our partners, we will advocate in Augusta for effective lake protection laws.
▪ As the only statewide membership group devoted solely to lakes, we will increase our capacity to provide state-of-the-art information and services you need to Save Maine’s Lakes.
Our Core Values
▪ Integrity: We are supported by many volunteers and donors. To meet their needs for current and accessible information, we will maintain open and honest communication about our efforts to protect our lakes and alert them to new and potential threats.
▪ Stewardship: Using the best information available, we will help our members become successful lake stewards.
▪ Collaboration: The challenges facing our lakes cannot be addressed alone. We will work collaboratively with all of our partners to secure the future of our lakes.
▪ Excellence: We will maintain high standards in all that we do – Advocacy, Education and Action — through our outstanding programs and professional staff.