There’s lots to learn about being LakeSmart, and you can pick up a great deal on your own!
Just click on Lake Association Resources under “Categories” on the right hand side of the home page.
Browse through the online resources listed here:
Portland Water District: NewsTab: Publications are used widely in the LakeSmart program:
On your browser, go to www.pwd.org/publications and select from ‘drop down list’ Environmental Fact Sheets “Apply”. This series contains illustrated instructions for most LakeSmart BMP’s and Plants.
- Best Management Practices, otherwise known as ‘The BMP’s’: Construction BMP’s; Dripline Trench; Dry Wells; Erosion Control Mix; Infiltration Steps; Infiltration Trench; Lake Shoreline Riprap; Live Staking; Open Top Culvert; Paths and Walkways; Permitting; Pervious Pathway; Planting and Maintaining Buffers; Rain Barrels; Rain Garden; Rubber Razors, Turnouts; Waterbar;
- Descriptions of native plants for varying conditions such as sun/shade, damp/dry locations:
- “Lakes Like Less Lawn”: Environmental Landscaping for Water Quality published by the Portland Water District. See 2017 edition on pwd.web site. https://www.pwd.org/publications/sebago-lake-watershed-news-summer-2017
- 2014 version “Lakes Like Less Lawn” see this MLS blog of June 4 2014. Environmental Landscaping for Water Quality published by the Portland Water District. Published June 4 2014 in our blog entry.
Maine Department of Environmental Protection; DEP; www.maine.gov/dacf/php … For a series of web pages on:
- Certified contractors in your area: www.maine.gov/dep/land/training/ccec.html
All earth moving activity within 250 feet from the high water line of great ponds must be done by a DEP certified contractor. It’s the law and it applies to all great ponds starting January 2013!
- Maine Yardscaping Partnership: www.yardscaping.org Takes you to the Maine.Gov/ web site. http://www.maine.gov/dacf/php/pesticides/yardscaping/landscape/index.htm
- Choosing the right plant for the right place: yardscaping.org/plants/index.htm
- Grass Seed sources: yardscaping.org/lawn/seed.htm
- Pest Control:
- Solving Pest Problems: http://www.maine.gov/dacf/php/gotpests/index.html
- Pesticide safety and rules: http://www.maine.gov/dacf/php/pesticides/index.shtml
- Gravel Road Maintenance Manual, Maine:
Better Back Roads Manual, Vermont
- Ecological Landscaping Association:
- Sustainable landscape professional in your area: www.melna.org or www.ecolandscaping.org
- Maine Landscape professionals committed to ecological, sustainable products and practices in their work, Ecological Landscaping Association website: http://www.ecolandscaping.org/find-an-eco-pro-2/
- Building healthy soil and erosion control: www.buildingsoil.org
- List of Landscapers and Nurseries trained in LakeSmart Practices:
- LakeSmart Tips:
LakeSmart is a Program of the Maine Lakes Society